the world of ??whys??


The world is rife with "why's," most of them simply too large and overwhelming to contain easy answers, if any at all - why is there suffering in this world? why do bad things happen to good people (and vice versa)? why is the sky blue (okay, there's probably some scientific explanation for that one, but a scientist I am not, so that one falls into bigger hands/minds than my own).
But everyday, we all encounter a myriad of little "why's," the kind we are certain have answers or could be satisfactorily redressed. These are the ones that really stick in your craw, because deep down you sense that : 1) it's simply Murphy's Law inserting its frustrating self into the minutiae of your daily life; or 2) the matter simply wouldn't exist, if only the rest of the world possessed your obviously elevated level of common sense.
So, all that being said, this column is dedicated to just those very "why's" - maybe not earth-shattering, nor of global relevance, but clearly impacting as we go about our own daily lives - the little glitches for all us cogs that are simply part of the bigger picture. These little things comprise our own personal bigger pictures, and I am convinced are at the heart of bigger issues - road rage, general rudeness, random acts of kindness, etc., etc. And in that reciprocal sense, maybe they are bigger than they seem, more than just pet peeves or petty annoyances.
So to get the thread rolling, I've come up with a few of my own choice "why's" - feel free to add your own, and if you have answers or at least a darn good or amusing theory, I'd love to hear it.

Monday, September 10, 2007

"The grocery bag conundrum"

I love the U-Scan. While for some it is a frustrating mess of technological uncertainty and foibles, I find that when used and operating properly, it is a small realm of control in a world where far too many things are beyond one's control.
For instance, bagging. What I love about this new do-it-yourself approach is that I can distribute my purchases in the way that makes the most sense to me, and do away with that whole nagging question of "why did they put all THIS stuff in HERE and all THAT stuff in THERE!?!"
Specifically, why do the baggers find it necessary to put all of the heaviest items in one bag all together?...then fill one bag with nothing but a roll of paper towels and another with a bag of baby carrots? Not only is this a waste of plastic (leading to increased consumer waste and global warming -- see how these things, ultimately, make their way back into the larger picture?); but it leaves me completely unable to distribute weight evenly as I carry my packages into the house -- not to mention the obvious fact that one bag (and yes, just to further add to the very "whyness" of it all, these are rarely double-bagged) filled with canned goods, celery, a large jar of pickles and a bottle of wine is likely to bust wide open - thereby not only rendering my shopping completely futile (which necessitates re-purchase, and the cycle begins again - AARGH!), and at the very least renders it completely useless as a trash bin liner.
So, my question (as you've likely guessed) is simply, why? Why do they do that? Isn't there some kind of bagger training? And if so, why isn't the logic that so naturally springs to mind, ever applied?



No comments: